Thursday, July 31, 2008

Change Me On The Inside


II Corinthians 7:1
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
Ephesians 4:27
And do not give the devil an opportunity.
This has been a day of struggle.
It has been a day of uncovering.
Funny how this works. We pray for God to come and uncover attitudes and sin that are offensive to him, and when He does, we loose control because ......we have been uncovered.
Daily....I am to cleanse myself from "all" defilement. Not a suggestion. In the process of this cleansing, holiness is being perfected in me. As I participate in this process, I am all too keenly aware of my heart in light of God's mercy and grace. It is this awareness of how short I fall before God, coupled with the knowledge that God is wanting to grow me, that causes me not to give up but press on.
We glide by the Ephesians 4:27 verse quickly. Not much on the surface.
Don't give the devil an opportunity. "Don't worry, I'm not."
Well, here is the rub.
The devil isn't going to come and knock on your front door, dressed in his devil suit carrying around all his devil stuff and proclaim, 'You better let me in and give me this opportunity.
No.
He is going to wait until you are in the middle of an emotional situation and then come and agree with you. He'll slide in and put his arm around you and whisper in your ear...."You know. You have a right to be mad at (insert name). He treated you like dirt. He called you names."
The longer we sit there listening, the more our flesh agrees with what we are hearing.
We have given him (devil) an opportunity to drive a wedge between us and someone else. More importantly, we have allowed him to draw our focus from God and place it solely on ourselves.
We have a pity party to end all pity parties.
God help us.

we read in James 1: 2-4
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
Where do these battles take place?
In our mind and our emotions.
If we give sway to living by these faculties, we will forever be assaulted by the schemes of the devil. By faith we look beyond what we are feeling and thinking. By faith, we trust in the Lord with all our hearts and lean not on our own understanding.
SO why do we run around trying to understand with our emotions and our feelings?
They are such a part of our human condition that we don't truly realize that unless we build our foundation upon Jesus the Christ, we will always be tossed about.

By faith you are saved.
By faith Jesus sustains you.
By faith, Jesus is all sufficient.
No matter what the world throws at you.
No matter what the devil brings to your doorstep.
No matter what everyone is saying...
By faith, Jesus is all sufficient to take you through every thing you face.
Stand still and Know that He is God.
For the battle is the Lord's and not yours.
God on you.....
mb

2 comments:

Lane said...

Michael,
Remember the words of Keith Green in one of his songs, "Lord, the feelings are not the same...I guess I'm older, I guess I changed"? He goes on to say that "Nothing lasts except the grace of God..by which I'm saved".

You know brother, it is His grace that I desperately need as He works in me ... yet I still resist His work. I keep having to confront 'stuff' (as you well know through my meetings with 'Cardinal Mike'!) Remember...this is just the 'normal' walk.

Lane

Greene Street Letters said...

How true.
I am older.
More tired.
Vision is not what it use to be.
Flesh still wants to battle.
But grace....
Except for Grace, I would go over the edge....
Thanks Lane
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...