Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dare We Believe?

It is amazing to me what one can find if you look. When ever I go to a bookstore, I always search out to see if they have a discount table or a cut rate book bin. Over the years, these are the places that I have found some hidden jewels that seem to escape the over-the-top merchandising that goes on by Christian publishers.

I was at a local bookstore, in fact I wasn't even in the store. They had a roll around cart on the sidewalk loaded with different selections that had been marked down. I saw it. Why Revival Still Tarries. An updated answer to Leonard Ravenhill's Why Revival Tarries. Struck by the thought that someone would update a classic, I purchased the book.

Written by Chad Taylor, Why Revival Still Tarries hits home to the Christian. This is not a book for the lost. It is not a book for the casual Christian (if there is such a definition). It is for the believer who is looking around at church and the business of the church and finds themselves a bit queasy over what they see.

Taylor writes, "Why does revival still tarry? Because God's people still tarry. We have not left the catacombs of complacency and entered the battlefield of humanity. We linger in the conference lines and meeting halls hoping the Lord will "touch us" one more time. It's not a touch of casualness that God longs to give us, but a taste of His fire (pg.9)

Such language strikes at the very heart of the church today.
A church who has traded the eternal things of God in order to get the lost inside their walls. Once there, the church has nothing to offer except entertainment, coffee and a danish.

Why does revival still tarry? Because our hearts are yet to be broken. We walk around with our pride and dignity still intact. Until we truly listen to the message of the Cross and the gospel of Jesus, we will not understand what God expects of us as His children.

God on you......

mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Well said! If conferences, meetings and dynamic ministries could fix us, I would have been fixed a long time ago! Only the Cross can fix us...and the way of the Cross is painful.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...