Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Random Thoughts

Romans 6:2
"How can we who died to sin still live in it?"

I find myself trying to justify or at least explain why we still sin after being saved.
I'm not sure that there is any justification.
I hear people say, "Well, I'm not perfect." I would agree. None are, not even me.
But yet God says, "Be perfect as I am perfect."
This tells me that there is a standard to strive for and I am not excluded from this call simply because I am human.
If we never strive for it, through the work of the Holy Spirit in us, we will never move forward. We will be forever caught in the cycle of sin.

Verse 6 reads: We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.

Sin is no longer my master.
Sin no longer fills my thoughts and desires.
Sin no longer dictates to me what I do or do not do.
But I still have a nature that wants to sin.
This is where I am to walk or live my life according to the Spirit of God and not the nature of my old self.
The Holy Spirit enables me to rise above the calling of my flesh.
To deny the darkness it so readily wants to embrace.
The Holy Spirit is the one wooing me and drawing me to Jesus and new life.

Part of our problem is that we live in a society that dictates that we feed every whim and desire that we have. In other words, society has and is programing itself to sin.
Nothing is sacred.
Anything goes as long as it fulfills a desire or whim that you have.
Deny yourself nothing. That is the battle cry of America.
The land of opportunity (to sin).
Unfortunately what this creates is a false sense of the power of sin.
We believe that sin has more power to enslave us than God has to free us.

Romans 6:12 reads:
Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.

It's all a question of "Who are you listening to?"
Your soulish nature?
Or the voice of the Holy Spirit?

Hebrews 10:22
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

Do you have need of repentance?
Do you need to spend time with God?
Don't delay.

God on you......
mb

REMEMBER:
We are not meeting this Saturday JULY 5.
We will return on JULY 12.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...