Monday, July 21, 2008

What Must I Do?

Acts 2:37
When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

Unusual response?
Or is it?
Is the response of the people to the message of Peter really that unusual? Or have we moved so far away from the truth of God, that we no longer recognize truth.

The Holy Spirit had come in power to all believer's.
The religious system of the day was in disarray as an invasion had taken place.
The very heart of what was once considered to be the only way to God, was now threatened by God himself through the death and resurrection of Jesus.

Peter, full of the Holy Spirit, now stands and delivers the first Pentecostal message. Upon completion those in attendance cried out, "What shall we do? What is expected of us? We know we have heard something that has stricken our hearts, but how are we to respond?

Peter replies, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins."

The ball was in the court of those whose hearts had been touched. They either responded or rejected.

I see so much manipulation today in church to "Bring People to the Lord". I confess that I have been part of that crowd. No more! I see no fruit from people coming forward to simply say a few words and have their feelings soothed, only to go away back to sin from which they never fully left. It has been hard for me, a pastor, to turn loose of this behavior. To learn to trust God with his message that He will bring about the result he desires.

That doesn't mean I do nothing.
I pray and cry out to God!
I pray for those in attendance that their hearts would be opened to the truth of God and the state of their own heart.
I teach the gospel in the simplest of terms.
I trust God with the rest.
I still struggle, but I am learning to listen and trust God.

If you are having trouble with what I have written, then pray for yourself and pray for me that we both might come to the truth and realization of just how powerful God truly is.

God on you.....
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

..."fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Heb.12:2) If Jesus isn't the Author of our faith...it's not real. Just keep preaching the Word, the Author will handle the rest.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...