Monday, August 25, 2008

Keep From Biting!


Colossians 2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceptions, according to the traditions of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
This is a tricky path to walk and can only be done so by the leading of the Holy Spirit. What path you might ask? The path of not being led astray by the latest fad or idea or concept or teaching that seems to follow the church around.
I confess that I have been in the word for a number of years and still am amazed the number of people who are drawn away into areas God never intended them to be. I am amazed at how easy people are led away by new "philosophy and deceptive teachings" that come along. I teach in fear for the most part. I don't consider it an unhealthy fear but one that keeps me always checking myself and my messages in Scripture. I do not want to be a vessel that draws people into places that God never intended them to be. I do not want to be a voice that is crying out and having people follow them. I want those who sit under my teaching to hear God. To be led to God and follow Him.
Our lack of discernment is our greatest downfall. That is why my message over the years has been relatively simple. Become a student of the word. Study the word. Memorize the Word. Let God, through the Holy Spirit, speak to you through the Word.
I profess no great insight to Scripture other than Jesus and Him crucified.
I have been justified.
I have been reconciled.
I have been sanctified.
I have been restored.
My live is no longer mine. I live it for Him.
As John Wimber taught, "I'm a fool for Jesus....whose fool are you?"
mb

3 comments:

Lane said...

Thank you for your example, Michael. It is easy for me to want something 'new'...so that my relationship to God is that of a consumer. How much time have I wasted while seeking something 'in addition' to Him? Paul kept it simple ... His life was the Gospel.

Lane

Greene Street Letters said...

The shallowness of what is being offered is sad beyond belief. I like what you said about our relationships being that of a consumer. That is what is happening...come and get the latest new Version 2.0 of Jesus.


mb

Bobby said...

You have the fear of God m.b. Psalm 111:10 says,"The fear of LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding."

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...