Sunday, August 31, 2008

Radical Amputation

Mark 9:47
And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

This was Seth Barber's text for our message last night at Church@Rapha.
He freely admitted that this verse is taken out of context a lot but that we needed to see the heart of what Jesus was saying.

In relating it to recovery, Seth pointed out that whatever it is that stands between us and God and our recovery has to be removed. During a course I was taking from Pure Life Ministry, they referred to this verse as RADICAL AMPUTATION. Just as the thought of actually removing an eye or a foot or a hand is so outside the box of our thinking, it must be that same thought we take into our recovery. Better for us to remove and amputate friends, places and things from our live so we can enter into God's Kingdom, than to go into hell surrounded by the very things that aided in our downfall.

Because we have such a misguided love and affection for these things that would cause us to sin, we need the power of God in us to help us move on. I think God offers the power but not until we make the decision to cut or amputate these things from our life. We spend ourselves on prayer that follows the line of "Help me God!" When in reality we really mean, "Make me God!" It isn't until we admit our powerlessness and turn to God that the help comes. But even with that help, we have to make decisions and follow God to move forward from a past of destruction and devastation.

Make a conscious decision to turn our will and life over to God as we understood Him.

Until next time....

mb

2 comments:

Lane said...

A sobering word ... my challenge is toleration -- I want to 'tolerate' certain behaviors or obsessions that seem to be benign. And then I wake up down the road and discover the acceptance of such behaviors in my life have lead away from daily intimacy. THIS is why I need radical accountability ... because my flesh wants to avoid radical accountabilty. Daily, I must be willing to change...at any cost.

Greene Street Letters said...

we tolerate because these behaviors/obsessions are such a part of us that we can't separate them as being unhealthy, anti-God and just plain not right.
That is why I have others around me who will not tolerate my acceptance of such behaviors.

mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...