Sunday, August 24, 2008

Shallow Earth Brings Death

Matthew 13:5-6
Some fell on stoney places, where they did not have much earth; and the immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth.But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away.

Matthew 13:20-21
But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the Word, immediately he stumbles.

This is something that has puzzled me over the years. I have watched this parable play out before me month after month. I see men who have this wonderful awakening in their spirit through the Word of God being taught. I see their eyes gleam with excitement over a Bible study or hearing a message. I hear these wonderful testimonies of how God has changed their life. I see them fall away and go back to their old lifestyle upon leaving the program. I never noticed how the verses in Matthew read.

In verse 5..we read where it mentions the stony places did not have much earth.
Would these be those who were hard hearted and had not repented?
Those who had not "Broken up the fallow ground of their hearts?"
Those who approached the understanding of God through their minds and not their hearts?
John the Baptist came preaching, "Prepare ye the way of the Lord".
Maybe we don't spend enough time talking and sharing on repentance?
On letting the Holy Spirit work in us. We are so wanting "INSTANT" salvation that we forget and neglect that it is God who dictates the times and terms of our salvation.
We believe the warm fuzzy feeling we get when we hear the Word of God is all that signifies a changed live. Not so.

Notice what else it says;
The seed immediately sprang up. Why? Because they had no depth of earth. We think the first signs of God in a life means the battle is over. Victory in Jesus. While I am not discounting the life that has been brought by God to an individual, we see what happens when that person does not cooperate.

V21 - Yet he has no root in himself.
The seed does not take root. Why? Because the hard ground, the fallow ground has not been turned through confession and repentance. The promises of God will not root in unprepared ground.

It goes on to read that when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word.
Why would that happen? Because the man is still living and making decisions based from his flesh or sin nature. Tribulation or persecution because of the Word.......The word divides the heart and reveals us for who we truly are. When the Word contradicts what the flesh wants, if there isn't any root, the flesh will win.

Notice these two words:
V20- Immediately receives it with joy
V21- Immediately he stumbles.
Maybe slow and steady is the path of the Kingdom.
I think maybe I need to mentor more and not be so quick to endorse those who quickly find Jesus.
I think from now on my cry will be "Show me the quality of your dirt."
God help me that I forget.

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...