Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wha'Zup With This?

Last night after I got home from Rapha, I was participating in the manly art of channel surfing when I ran across a documentary about the year 1968. Tom Brokaw narrated and spoke of the vast sweeping change that enveloped the country during the year 1968, and how this year was a time that defined the future of our country.

There were the obligatory video of student protest of the war in Viet Nam, Washington D.C. and take over of administration buildings on college campuses around the country. I caught myself wondering about how the current generation views this retrospective. To watch a show such as this gives one the impression that the entire nation was consumed with anarchy and change. Truth be known, the entire nation wasn't.

In 1968 my world consisted of a two-lane blacktopped highway that ran through the center of a rural community in the western part of Etowah County. People cut their grass, had gardens where they raised food to eat and not impress their neighbors. Men got up and went to work and the church was the central focal point of social life. Mom's stayed at home and did "momly" things (that is not a shot). Kids went to school by bus (heaven's forbid that Daddy didn't buy us a car). I guess what I'm trying to say is that my world in 1968 was vastly different from the media and powers that be painted it out to be. I think the same holds true today. I admit that we were influenced by what was happening in our country, but for the most part our lives did not reflect what this documentary showed.

Everyone (media secular and Christian) is running around trying to define the big picture of Christianity and they can't even see the little picture that is right there in front of their eyes. The Church forsakes the call in their community to embrace what they perceive as a larger call. Church thought is "We need to be moving in a larger arena of influence. We need to be reaching out farther and harder and making a difference." NEWSFLASH! God never called you to make a difference. He called you to be obedient........HE makes the difference. By having this mindset, the church misses the call and need that is right outside their doorstep.

Don't you find it strange that everyone is all caught up in loving the addict and those in recovery, but prior to 2002, the church didn't show signs of this love. It wasn't until someone on the left coast of America started a "program" that the church went, "Hey....let's help the addict." You may think I'm criticising Rick Warren and Saddleback church. I'm not. It just drives me crazy that leaders and pastors and churches can't hear God for themselves. The only thing they can do is copy what is the hottest and latest fad.

My desire to help those in recovery started back in 1998 and I will let you know that helping addicts was the last thing on my mind. God had different plans. What I do today is because of what was on God's heart that He spoke to me back '98. The call was simple.
"Michael.......do what I say."
I knew the first time I went to Rapha that I had to go back. I never in my wildest dreams ever saw myself in the position I'm in today.

I think God wants us to each take care of our little corner of the Kingdom. Quit getting caught up in the "Stuff" that's out there. Unless God leads you to participate in something, or go somewhere different, you walk in the last thing He told you to do.
I wanted to go to Toronto when the renewal broke out, but He wouldn't release me to. Not until October of 1998. Why? Why did He keep me from going for 4 years? Because it wasn't time yet.
His plans included a Saturday night service for those in Recovery (HOUSE OF BLUE) and teaching in a rehab about God.

I had a well-intentioned woman approach me some years back about going with her group to Russia to minister. They wanted me to speak on drug and alcohol recovery to a village somewhere in rural Russia. She told me that everything would be paid for and all I had to do was go. It was a tempting offer, but the temptation was more for my ego that what God wanted. After much prayer, I informed the woman that I would have to decline her offer. She was kind of miffed by my refusal. She asked me, "Don't you care for the addicts and alcoholics in Russia?" I stood there for a moment and then asked her, "Don't you care for the addicts and alcoholics in Attalla?" The point being, I was called to Attalla to work. Not Russia. For me to have taken that trip would be my flesh and not God directing me.

Focus on your part of the Kingdom unless God says it's o.k. to look elsewhere.

God on you.......
mb

2 comments:

Lane said...

Wow...what can I say. This post impacted me Michael. I, too, am appreciative for the 'acceptance' of recovery in Churches -- but also am a bit 'disturbed'. I believe we are not to 'promote' recovery, but commit to the recovery process. I am also disturbed by traditional AA's seeming 'denial' of the historical roots that were grounded in radical Faith. The GOD spoken of was the one true GOD that we know through His Word. This fact is indisputable. In both cases...we begin to 'fashion a god of our own liking'...and 'it' serves us all too well. As I 'trudge' along the path, it seems that surrender to the ONE TRUE GOSPEL and working hard at the 12 steps of recovery is to be my simple focus. When I deviate too far from this 'life-saving' pathway, I become disturbed and discontented...symptoms that could literally kill me. God help me to 'keep it simple' and authentic.
I love you brother...

Lane

Bobby said...

Lane stole my word...Wow! I saw that special on 1968 also and you're right it wasn't like that in Glencoe. But as a boy I remember the King and Kennedy assignations that's what really impacted me. Watching the Vietnam war on T.V. every night impacted me...but that was over there. I think you're right we need to look at the mission field around us! Thanks for the encouragement m.b.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...