Saturday, December 20, 2008

First Candle Light Service


We had our first ever candle light service at Rapha last night.
It was very much a reflection (no pun intended) of who we are and what God is doing among us.
Darkness.
God bringing light to that darkness and beginning the journey in a new life.
I wasn't sure how the service would go over but knew that this was truly something on God's heart. Worship was played on acoustic guitars and the songs spoke about Jesus being the light of the world, stepping down into darkness. At one point, it became very evident that God was with us. We were singing HERE I AM TO WORSHIP when the men took the song away from the worship team. By that I mean, they sang and we stopped playing. They didn't quit singing and it only intensified. Some stood and raise their hands, faces turned up. Others turned and knelt with the their faces in their chairs. I stood there watching and drinking it all in. "God you are so good," I thought to myself.
At one point, we turned the lights off in the room. Two candles on the communion table provided the only illumination. Slowly we begin to light the candles, each person turning to the one next to them to share their flame and light their candle. The room was bathed in a golden glow from all the candles. We began to sing YOU HAVE REDEEMED MY SOUL.
You have redeemed my soul / from the pit of emptiness / you have redeemed my soul from death. This wasn't just a song anymore. It was a declaration from a room full men that spoke the truth. It was a powerful moment.
After the service, men stood around hugging each other and praying in small groups. For a brief moment in time God came and we had wonderful communion with Him. Now if we can only learn the lesson of this is how life with Him is supposed to be. Oh we don't need candles or worship music, we just need to retain the attitude of gratitude and walk daily with Him.
Merry Christmas from the CHURCH@RAPHA

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...