Monday, December 8, 2008

It's Official

Saturday, Christmas came officially to Rapha.
My wife, Vicki, showed up at 10:30 with a huge tree strapped to the top of her van.
Armed with decorations and Christmas goodies we headed to the chapel to set up shop and decorate.
I love this time of year and I especially love Vicki's infectious holiday spirit that seems to fall over everyone who comes close to her.
I heard men walking around the camp saying, "They ain't gonna get me in there putting up no Christmas tree. They can't make me do it."

Next thing you'd know, here were the same men who defied anyone to even suggest putting up a tree, these same men were in the thick of it hanging ornaments and lights. As we sang Christmas carols, the room seem to grow a little softer. Men's faces seem to be more peaceful, and God seemed to be a little more present.

"The first noel the angels did say/ was to certain poor shepherds in fields where they lay."
Voices, not always on key or in time, rang out as we went about the business of recognizing the importance of the season.........the birth of the Christ Child.

Finally finished, we stood back and voila' ........the lights were turned on and the room blazed to life with the finished tree.
It isn't about presents.
It isn't about anything the world uses to try and change the meaning of Christmas.

It is about a baby born to a poor couple.
A baby that contained the fullness of God.
A baby who had come to die for the world.

Happy birthday Jesus!

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...