Friday, January 30, 2009

Cross Talk


Luke 9:23
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."
It would be so totally easy to read into these verses what ever we wanted to. In fact, let me make a confession to you. I have often thought myself as quiet a martyr in that I take up a cross daily. How sick is that? Well, maybe not much more than you. It is hard to be hidden all the time. To remain in the shadows so to speak. For it is in these hidden places of following Jesus that my old nature wants to come out. It craves attention. It wants to scream and say, "Look at me!" Taking up a cross is a lonely business that comes with the call to follow Jesus. Seems to me that in this day and time we have a lot of people exploting their own "cross carrying" in order to gain attention. I don't think Jesus intended it to be this way.

We humans have a tendency to want to garner the spotlight, even when it comes to serving Jesus. We want others to see the sacrifice we make for His name. We want others to see what we have given up for Him. In fact, the truth is we haven't given up near enough. We still have a boatload of misplaced pride to surrender. If I am looking for the praise of men to be heaped upon me for something I am expected to do, then I am getting my reward here on earth.
I don't think we fully understand the function of a cross. To us it is a symbol. Something to be formed and shaped into jewelry......shiny and pretty. The cross was a judgement that was being carried out on an individual. As Leonard Ravenhill put it, "You see a man coming out of a city carrying a cross and you know that he isn't coming back. We have lost sight of this mindset. That once we engage Jesus in relationship, a call is placed on us. The call includes taking up "OUR" cross and following Him. We follow Jesus to death for it is only in a death to self that we can embrace life. In our current day, we seek to build a life of comfort to separate us from the hard and harsh life of following Jesus. I don't want you to think that we are to walk around, heads down, frowns on our faces a mile long and sing about what a suffering servant we are for Jesus. No! We rejoice that our names are written in the book of life. We rejoice that everything we face is temporary and is only drawing us closer to our eternal reward.
What about you?
Have you taken up your cross today?
God on you..........
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

I do rejoice that my name has been written in heaven...but I plead guilty to seeking to draw attention to myself. God's grace covers all my sins. Thanks for letting God use you.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...