Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Is It What It Is Suppose To Be?

If Jesus came back today (not that he isn't aware, he is) would he recognize the church?
After all, it's his church.
Scripture says that He is building it.
Maybe we're the ones that have gotten it wrong.
Maybe we took an idea from Jesus and have stamped it with our identity.

Acts 2:42 gives this description of the behavior of the first church.
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
The early believer's placed themselves voluntarily under the teaching of the apostles'. Recognizing that they were the last ones to have physically walked with Jesus and with this new indwelling of the Holy Spirit, those who were believers took the teaching of the apostles to heart. They didn't just study it, they lived it.
Teaching is one of the last things some people look for in a church. Programs, events, other people all seem to take precedent over the teaching. I don't think this should be this way.

Next on the list was fellowship.
The interaction and bond that draws people together. Not an outside interest or hobby, but the bond of the Holy Spirit. That is the glue or bond or whatever you want to call it, that strengthens any church. The personal interaction between people sharing their stories and plans of what God is doing in their life.

I write these things, because of my own wrestling with what our church should be, or how it should operate.
How far do I go in my teaching when I realize I only have 7 weeks minimum to instruct?
Do I try and lead them to places they aren't ready to go, or do I teach the basics and trust that the seed will produce fruit? Good questions without easy answers.
I do know that I have to let God take the lead no matter what I choose.
Pray for me....
as I do you...........

God on you.......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...