Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Planting Seeds

I struggle at times with what it is that God has called me to do.
The struggle comes because it doesn't always look like or sound like what I think it should.
I have all these good intentions of things I want to do. Things I want to teach or share. Programs that I would love to implement. Each time my mind is focused on such things, I am always led back to a great truth. God reminds me that I am merely called to plant seeds. To define it even more, planting seeds is a metaphor for teaching what God wants taught and letting God take the teaching and have it take root or become grounded in the life of the individual hearing it.

Planting seeds isn't a lot of fun.
You don't get to see the harvest when what is taught comes forth and begins to make a difference in the life of the individual. I think the disappointment stems from my own need to feel important. To put it bluntly, sometimes it would be real easy for me to take credit for something that God does. How sick is that?

I remember during a particular hard time that I was angry at God and I was having a really one sided conversation with Him. The time in question was concerning a group we had at Rapha. They were young and ten feet tall and bullet proof. Nothing I said, nothing I taught was making a difference. It may have well been me talking to the wall. I was frustrated and angry and I was taking it out on God. Not really a good idea for those of you reading this post.
I remember saying to God, "You called me out to Rapha, you equipped me to do this. Now if you aren't going to let me or help me make a difference, I'm not going out there."
The answer came back really quick.
God told me, "I didn't call you to make a difference. I called you to obey.""
Wow! Obey. What a concept.
For me to make a difference meant that I didn't really need God. It was all about me.
That conversation with God has served me well over the years and I have never forgotten it. So, next time you are feeling like you're not making a difference, guess what? You probably aren't, but God is.

God on you.........
mb

4 comments:

Heather Bynum said...

Awesome post, dad. Love you.

Josh

Greene Street Letters said...

As John Wimber so aptly stated...
I'm just an old fat guy trying to get to heaven.
Love you Josh...

Z said...

Bro Mike I just wanted to speak up and say coming from someone who came into Rapha knowing God wasnt the answer to my addiction and being so hardened to the religious background of my upbringing.You introduced me to a God I never thought existed and better yet helped me start a relationship with Him that has springboarded a whole new life for me.So I know beyond a shadow of a doubt the circumstances that brought me from Michigan to Attalla to meet you were of God. So i just wanted to say thanks for obeying Him you helped in saving my life.


Jeremy

Greene Street Letters said...

Z! What a present.
My computer crashed and I had to get a new email that is why I haven't written you because I couldn't remember your address.
Write to me:
mvb1972@att.net
Your words are kind and I am grateful for the things you had to say. It was just the perfect timing of God.
I miss you.
I pray for you.
I love you man!
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...