Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Why The Name Change?

As you can see our blog is no longer called the CHURCH@RAPHA , instead the meeting has been changed to NEW COMPASSIONS. Why the change?
Back in 1997 when I was ordained, I was fortunate to be attached to the morning service at Gadsden Vineyard church. When I went full time in ministry, the morning service was turned over to me and as such, I felt that it needed to have an identity. During one of my morning devotions, I found myself in Lamentations 3 and Verses 22 and 23 caught my eye.

"The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness."

The idea that this incredible God who wants to have relationship with me offers to me, each day, Hid compassion. I began to look at the people who made up the morning service and realized that we, as a group, needed the Lord's compassion. We were a rag tag group of people who were injured and broken and saw no value in ourselves. As Pastor, God gave me teachings that began to lead us out of this mindset into the reality of what relationship with Him truly means. I remember in particular one young girl who would come Sunday after Sunday, sitting as far back in the room as she could. She would cry during the entire service. The crying was from God working in her and restoring her.

Our meetings on Saturday night are along the same lines. The people who come are searching for truth. They have tried what the world had to offer and it left them broken, battered and down. I think the name NEW COMPASSIONS is very appropriate for where God has us at this point in time. Verse 24 of Lamentations 3 reads: The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I have hope in Him.

Come and see what NEW COMPASSIONS is all about.
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...