Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thoughts

Today is April 1st.
April fools day.
I haven't played any pranks or jokes today, although my grandson, Tyler, played one on me.
It lead to fits of laughter and hugs as he reveled in the thought of getting one over on Poppa.

Bible Study:
Taught from II Kings 5 last night.
The story of Naaman the leper.
Powerful man: Commander of King's Army
Man of integrity: Mentioned in Scripture.
Then comes the words........"But he was a leper."
All the positives were shot down with those 5 words: But he was a leper.
He begins the journey to be healed at the suggestion of an Israeli slave girl who knows of a prophet.
Naaman makes the trip to meet this man of God, Elisha.
Naaman arrives. Elisha sends his messenger to the front door and dispense with the wisdom for the cure of Naaman's leprosy. Go wash yourself (or dip) seven times in the Jordan river.
Naaman is furious on many different levels.
(1.) I am important.
(2.) This prophet doesn't even come to meet me personally, he sends his messenger.
(3.) Whats up with this "Go to the Jordan and dip myself 7 times?"
(4.) This is not the way I want it to happen.
(5.) We've got rivers in our country that are much better than the Jordan.

This is so like people who come into recovery.
They want to be clean and sober, but they want it on their terms.
12 Steps? You've got to be kidding me? That's too simple.
There are other ways and rehabs that are so much better than this.

The addictive mind looks for the softer, easier way.
The sin driven mind looks for the softer, easier more pleasing way.
But God says, "Jordan River and 12 Steps."

Naaman eventually gave in and did what he was told.
Guess what?
He was healed.
Imagine that? Doing what we have been told to do. Wouldn't that be called obedience? I think so.
"You want to follow me?" Jesus said.....
"Deny yourself....Take up your cross.....and let's go."
Three simple things that will provide life and life abundant.
The human mind still screams, "That's too simple! It has to be harder than that."

I do love God......
He understands exactly how simple I am.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...