Tuesday, April 14, 2009

You Go, God!

Job 38:1-2
The the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind; "Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them."

I don't know how I would respond if I found myself in the same position as Job?
Fear? Possibly.
Arrogant? I don't think so.
Demanding answers from God? definitely not.

I always try to keep my thoughts and my heart focused on one thing when approaching God.
He is God and I am not.
That may sound silly and maybe even foolish to some.
Of course He's God. We all know that. But do we? Do we really understand who it is we are praying to? I am placing myself in this category of trying to understand.
Sometimes I think I come to flippantly to God with my shopping prayer list in hand expecting Him to fill my every whim, want and desire. Truth be known, I probably need to humble myself. Did you ever notice when there is a national catastrophe we don't really have a problem humbling ourselves? 9/11......churches filled up. I'm sure God heard a lot of "why did this happen?" As days passed and time moved on, the churches emptied and life returned to normal. We blame God for all the bad.
We never praise Him for the good.
We are a fickle bunch, are we not?

I like the first part of Job 40.
Then the LORD said to Job, "Do you still want to argue with the Almighty? You are God's critic, but do you have the answers?" Then Job replied to the LORD, "I am nothing---how could I ever find the answers? I will put my hand over my mouth in silence. I have said too much already. I have nothing more to say."
Job became very much aware, as we all need to , that we have been called into relationship with Almighty God. The God who spoke everything into existence. The God who gave His son as a ransom for me. I think He deserves my worship. I think He deserves my obedience. I know I have said this kidding but somehow there may be some truth. I have commented on several occasions about what I am going to do after life is over and I stand before Jesus. I have told several that I'll probably just fall on my face and worship Him for a couple of billion years.

Keep in mind the divine pecking order:
He's God.
We're not.
God on you.......
mb

2 comments:

Bobby said...

I with you man! We need a good dose of the fear of God. We need to look at the God of Ravenhill and Tozer.

Greene Street Letters said...

I quoted Ravenhill during my teaching tonight...
"When we stand before God, we Christians will be embarassed by one thing....the smallness of our prayers."
We were looking at Matthew 21...My house shall be the house of prayer and you have turned it into a den of theives....
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...