Friday, May 8, 2009

Cracked Pots

It has been a good week for me. There are things going on inside of me that I know are from God. I feel like the interstate in Atlanta though, always a work in progress. I don't think I have ever driven to Atlanta without seeing some kind of construction work on I-20. In the Kingdom, I think the same hold true for us as believer's. There will always be these "spiritual" orange cones and yellow flashing lights to signify a work in progress. That is just part of the deal when you have been saved.

I have become very much aware of the frailty of our humanness. Those things that make us uniquely human in God's creation. How we have the ability to deceive not only others but ourselves. To convince ourselves that we are in a good state of mind, yet all the while be walking in darkness. I see a lot of this. I see men who stay in the program for well over a year, and yet when it is time to go, they leave with motives and intentions that you know are going to send them right back into their old lifestyle. You can talk to them and they will assure you that God is still number #1 in their lives and that they are going to be alright, but you know that it is all a smoke screen. As humans, we truly are earthen vessels.....or as I heard it so eloquently put...we are all "Cracked Pots". God has placed within those who are saved a precious treasure. What you may ask? The light or understanding of the nature or glory of God as seen in Jesus Christ.
Because as we come to understand who Christ is, we begin to understand who we are. When we see ourselves in light of who Jesus truly is, we see all the cracked places in us where sin has damaged us. When we acknowledge these "cracks", God brings healing through the work of the Holy Spirit and we are made whole.

To understand myself in the light or awareness of who Jesus is.......that is the incredible work God does in the life of a person. Like Peter, after pulling in the catch of fish after Jesus told him where he would find them, I fall to my knees and say, "Depart from me, O Lord, for I am a sinful man."
Jesus doesn't depart. He begins the healing and restoration of our lives. He places a call inside of everyone who says "yes" to following Him. Then He empowers them through the presence and filling of the Holy Spirit and sends them out (cracked pots for Jesus) to infect and affect their community. Let God's light shine through your broken places today. Someone needs to see it.

God on you.......

Verse of the Day:
II Corinthians 4:8-10
We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed. Perplexed, but not despairing. Persecuted, but not forsaken. Struck down, but not destroyed. Always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.

1 comment:

Bobby said...

My family and I drove through Atlanta yesterday and said the same thing...it's always a work in progress! It's the same with us.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...