Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Let Me Introduce The Man

If you ever have attended Sunday School or had your Mother or Grandmother read to you from the Bible, then you probably know who the person above is. David ....soon to be King of Israel. Hand picked by God to take over from King Saul. Saul had disqualified himself from the Kingdom by his disobedience. A revelation of character if you will because of bad choices that Saul made concerning directives given to him by God. God said do it this way and Saul had other thoughts. Not a good basis for relationship if you ask me.

God makes a statement about David in Acts 13:22. We read:
"I have found David, the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will."
What an incredible testimony. God said this about David, that he was a man (God recognized the frailty and failure that lived in David) after His own heart (What God wanted, David wanted) who would do all (What falls under "All"? Everything) His will.
I know what your thinking. "Yeah but David messed up." David didn't mess up. David sinned.
He counted the people, against God's wishes.
He courted and manipulated a married woman in order to have sexual relations with her.
Then, learning she was pregnant, concocted a plan in which to murder her husband.
Doesn't sound like David was a man after God's own heart does it?
There was forgiveness and David was wise enough to realize when he sinned that he could be restored. Oh, David wasn't into "I go sin because I know I can be forgiven of it." No, he never took God's gifts in such a manner. Here in the New Testament....such a testimony spoken by God over a man like David.

What would God say about you today?
What would God's testimony be concerning you and your relationship with Him?
I have tried to imagine what mine would be but you know, when you get into this area, you either have an inflated view of yourself, or you are in that "O LORD, I'm not worthy" stage.
I do want the attributes that David possessed. To have a heart after God's heart and do all that God's will dictated.
Hmmmm.
Food for thought.

God on you.....
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

I've been thinking a lot about the sermon on the mount lately. The poor in spirit is someone who knows his desperate need for God and I think that's the key to being a man after God's own heart.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...