Monday, May 11, 2009

Who Am I?

Mother's Day has come and gone.
Vicki was treated like the Queen of Auckland, as we do every year on that day.
I prepared all the meals and cleaned up afterward.
The hardest decision she had to make yesterday was what to watch on TV or if she wanted to take a nap in the living room or on the bed.
I am blessed beyond measure to be have been married 37+ years to her.

I remember early on in our marriage when who God desired us to be was backwards.
I did not want to truly be a husband and make decisions.
Because of this, I pushed it all over onto Vicki.
I went to work. I took my check and put in the bank and said, "You take care of everything."
I gave up the authority that God created me to carry simply because I didn't want to be concerned with all that "stuff" that goes with being a man.

I see so many men today who have done likewise. They have bought into a lie that the world has perpetrated about who and what a man is. There is such a "beat down" from the world about all the wrong done in the past by men that there is an emasculation going on both spiritually and mentally among men. Look at the commercials you see on TV. Who is the doofus in every commercial? Dad. He is the bumbling, stumbling, don't-know-anything, guy that is the butt of all jokes.

Before you go postal, I want you to know that I am not advocating being a heavy handed tyrant when it comes to being a man. Lording over "your woman" beating her into submission. No! Scripture says that husbands are to love their wives as Jesus loves the church. That means a husbands chief duty is to provide an environment where his wife can become all God created her to be. To protect her. To love her. To guide her. That is what men do.

It wasn't until Vicki and I started attending Central United Methodist did we hear a series of messages about getting your house in order. Number one in the series was about husbands and wives occupying the right role in the marriage. That one hit home. It wasn't an overnight thing when it came to reversing the roles Vicki and I were carrying around. It was a struggle and sometimes a battle, but with the Holy Spirit guiding and working in us, we each began to change into who God created us to be. That was when we found peace in our home.
Make sure that your house is in order and that you are who you were created to be.

God on you.........

Verse of the Day:
I Kings 2:2
I am going the way of all the earth. Be Strong, therefore, and show yourself a man.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I have never been married so I really can't speak about marriage issues, but it appears to me that there is a lot of emasculating going on in the world in general... and it is really sad.

We need men to be men, and especially fathers. The younger ones really need some good role models.

And I emphasize that I mean LOVING men who stand for truth and righteousness. Men who are willing to sacrifice and lay down their life for their neighbor. And love their families enough to stick around even when things don't go their way.

I am so tired of the broken family/broken home syndrome. And there are so many children that are all messed up and never even have a fair chance right off the bat. It is really sad.

Greene Street Letters said...

IT truly is about being a "GODLY" Man. IT isn't about marriage or being single...it is about simply being a GODLY man where ever you are.
Thanks AJ
And thanks for the Lonnie Frisbee video..I have totally loved it.
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...