Friday, June 19, 2009

The GUISE Reunion

Here they are in all of their radiant splendor: From left to right....David Finlayson blowing his nose. NO...not really, David is playing Harmonica. I'm in the center without my now notorious beard. And Guitarist exratordinaire, Mr. Brook Finlayson. We went by the name THE GUISE back in the 80's. We came together kind of by accident. David and I had been playing together as DREAMER and Brook sat in with us one night. The rest was history. I remember our very first serious practice (if there was such at thing with the three of us). We were in the living room at Brook's house and was going to do a song by a friend, Arnie Sanford, "SING WITH ME". David started the song and when it came time for Brook and I to come in on vocals, there was some magic there. The three voices blended and made this incredible sound. We stopped right there in the middle of the song and just looked at each other. Collectively we uttered a "Carumba!".
Over the coming months we put together a song list and began to play at different places, but always returning to our roots playing at SKYLIGHT, the Saturday night coffee house run by CHRISTIAN BROTHERS.



To say we were ecclectic was the understatment. We sang a version of Amazing Grace that was part Southern Gospel with the vocals and part Don-Ho-Hawaiian with slide guitar. IN fact the guitar that Brook used to play slide on was fished out of a garbage pile. The strings were so high off of the frets that he only used it to play slide on. There was a lot of orginal material sung by the Guise. Some good and some good, there was even some songs that were good.

Brook singing his own composition of HOW COULD YOU BE SO GOOD. That is still one of my favorite songs to this day. I had the pleasure of sitting in and playing bass on a studio version that was recorded of that song.
David Finlayson's WHERE ARE YOU NOW. We transplanted that song from DREAMER to the GUISE.

My own composition of GUILTY, a reggae rip off from Eric Clapton's I SHOT THE SHEIRFF. I have written this to simply let you know that tonight (Friday 19th) THE GUISE will be playing once again at MOONSONG cafe up on Noccalula Mountain. Concert begins at 7 ish....who knows what time we will really start.

I am so looking forward to playing with Brook and David again.

If you don't have anything to do, drop by and drink a cup of joe and listen to some ol' coots make some pretty good music.

Hope to see you there....

Michael b

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...