Monday, June 8, 2009

The Sounds Of Silence

I have been tying to be open and listen for God. Sometimes it is very easy and at other times, it is like trying to grab a fist full of water. Just isn't happening.
Yesterday I had two different people, in passing conversation, at two different times and places make reference to the impact our ministry was having on their lives. It wasn't a big hoopla deal, just simple reference to. It did not occur to me until last night that this was God speaking. He was encouraging me that we were on the right path.
So what happens if we don't learn to listen for God?

Today's passage is from:
Amos 8:11
"Behold the days are coming," says the Lord God, "That I will send a famine on the land. Not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord."

This prophetic word was proven true by the silent years called the inter testament period between the Old and New Testament. God did not speak and remained silent.
I write this to make a point. During that time, when God was speaking, the people de-volved into behaving or acting on what they thought God would want them to do. Their interpretation of what Scripture they had led a very chaotic time. I think of it like this.
"IF I'm not hearing God..........And I don't know what is next........I will simply make up what I think God wants me to do." We usurp the authority of God and begin to dictate our own will into God's will. It is a very subtle thing as we feel like we are doing a good work for the Lord. Truth be known, the rule of thumb (and scripture) I use is that I continue to walk in the last word I heard from God until he tells me different. Doesn't matter what my flesh is saying. It doesn't matter what others around me are telling me, I walk in the last thing He told me to do until I receive a new work or place He desires me to be.

Listen for God today as you read the Bible.
Read it, but be sure to study it.
God on you..........
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...