Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What Will It Really Be Like?

The throne of God. What will it be like to actually stand (or lie face down) in this place? What will it sound like? What will it smell like? Will it be sensory overload?
It seems to me that there are two types of believers.
1.) Those who focus on heaven. They sing about it. They talk about it. They read about. They study it. They write about it. It seems to fill their every thought.
2.) Those who focus on life here, now, on this planet. They too, like category #1 are saved, but you never hear them give any voice or opinion about heaven. Their focus is in the here and now.
As James Ryles says, "We can sing about the Sweet Bye and By, but we live in the nasty here and now.

I have been thinking a lot about heaven lately. Maybe this is the groaning that the Apostle Paul writes about that creation suffers with. Sometimes the "stuff" of this earth can be over powering and over whelming. It seem to suck the very life out of you. You loose momentum and spark. It is times like this that I have to go into my office here at home, shut the door and sit down to read. I usually find myself in Revelation Chapters 4 and 5 reading about life around the throne of God. It seems so foreign and yet strangely familiar at the same time. I think the spirit in each of us who follow Jesus brings the familiarity of heaven into our here and now, almost to keep us from growing too home sick.
Jesus, in his prayer found in John 17 says, "I do not pray that You (father) should take them out of the the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth."
Jesus knew that we would be conflicted.
Living here. Working here. Laboring for the Kingdom. Worshiping here, yet not belonging here.
It is hard sometimes to remind myself that my home is beyond all I can see, touch, taste, smell and hear. That life there cannot be compared to life here. Yet it is the Holy Spirit in me that drives me on to share with one more person. To pray with one more person. To love one more person. Am I silly or crazy to want everyone to fall in love with Jesus? I don't think so.
So as I walk around with my heart and eyes looking up for His return, my feet are firmly planted here on this earth to carry out the command to "make disciples."
Marantha Lord Jesus!

mb

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Thanks for this timely post! I've been thinking about Heaven a lot lately. I've had a hard week and sometimes I feel the homesickness that's in every believer. But I think I've still got work to do down here.

Greene Street Letters said...

It gets hard sometimes.
Physcially, mentally and Spiritually you are drained. That is why Scripture is so important to me. It refreshes me as I read.
It encourages me when things get dark. And it gives me hope that there is a greater place beyond what my eyes can see here.
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...