Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Galatians 6

V.14
But far be it from me to glory (in anything or anyone) except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah), through whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

I have been parked on this verse since yesterday morning.
I've read it in 4 different translations. I have used Strong's Concordance to break the verse down.
The one thing that I come away with is that the Apostle Paul (who wrote this) says that his focus, his purpose, his joy, his compass all point and is found in the place, the work and the person of Jesus Christ and what took place outside of Jerusalem the day He died.

On that hill, Calvary, we read about the culmination of a plan that was first spoken of in Genesis 3:15. God proclaimed in that verse that His son was being sent to the world. There in the garden God said, "I have a plan to undo the damage that has been brought about by the choices mankind made."
To me this plan for the redemption of humanity is the illumination of the power and authority and love that God possesses. He wasn't taken aback by the actions of man in choosing to disobey. God came and pronounced the judgment for man's actions and then immediately began to work His plan to save the same people who had chosen against God's wishes and desires.

This work that took place on Calvary's mount was an eternal work. It has been 2000+ years since Jesus' death on a cross but the power of it, the intent of it has not been dimmed or diminished in any way. The blood of Christ carries the same ability to free people from the power and penalty of sin than on the day it was shed.

Notice what happened to Paul after his encounter with Jesus.
1.)The world was crucified to him (Paul). There was nothing in the world (material things, power, prestige, lust and all the behaviors the world the world finds of value) that Paul had a desire for. The world was dead to him. It was the presence of Jesus and the promise of life to come that was now the fuel that drove Paul. The promise and hope that God is who He truly says He is and does what He says He will do.

2.) Paul was crucified to the world. The world turned it's back on Paul, but focused it's hatred squarely at him because of the message he brought. He was an enemy of the world and as Paul states in V.17 --For I bear on my body the (brand) marks of the Lord Jesus (the wounds, scars, and other outward evidence of persecutions--these testify to His (Jesus) ownership of me!).

As the song says, "My sin, not the part, but the whole...has been nailed to the cross and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, It is well with my soul."

Live free in Christ today....
God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...