Sunday, July 19, 2009

It Was A Good Night

We were small in number last night since it was pass weekend, but what we lacked in numbers was made up in enthusiasm.
Since a lot of the guys were new, I did a short teaching on what worship is and exactly who it is we were worshipping. The one thing I have learned over the years is that you never take anything for granted when it comes to religion or theology. You never assume that the other person is on the same wave length, so to speak, as you are. Their concept of God may be far removed from your understanding, so with this in mind, I wanted to make sure that we all were on the same page.

Even though we are a church (a community of believers), we do not operate like what most people think of when they think of church. For the most part, the men who come through the program are there for 7 weeks. So it isn't like we are trying to build a permanent base or place for them. We do encourage them to return if they can't find a church home once they leave. We are a place of encouragement to chase God. A place where they can learn how to worship and pray and even minister to others. We are a door way to the larger part of the body of Christ. We are an entry point where they can began to feel comfortable with church.

When we moved into our praise and worship time, the room came alive. There were moments where the presence of God was very much evident in the room. Several came down for prayer and received ministry for things they were struggling with. This was a huge thing as some of these men have never been prayed for like this in their entire lives. To move out from where they were sitting to go and stand for others to come and ask what their need was and then be prayed over......this was our community doing the stuff, or the work of Christ last night.

I guess the best way to describe what takes place on Saturday night at the Chruch@Rapha is found in Psalm 103.

Praise the Lord, O my soul!
All my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
And forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases.
he redeems my life from the pit and crowns me with love and compassion.

He satisfies my desires with good things, so that my youth is renewed like the eagle.

Each Saturday night is different. No two services are alike.
We go into each meeting with a rough outline of what to do, but we hold it loosely because we know that God is going to come and I'd much rather let him have his way.
Every Saturday night as I am walking to my truck, I have the same thought....."Wow! God, how are you going to top that? What are you going to do next week? "
That is why I do what I do.
I love God!

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...