Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lamps And Light Bulbs

It would be so easy for me to sit here and try to explain or tell you what following God really meant. I could clothe it religious speech and jargon that really would not explain it. I could try and use big words to give you the impression that I am a learned man but that wouldn't work either. I guess the best way to describe what a day to day walk with Jesus really is about, is found in Psalm 119:105----Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.
What does that mean? How does that translate into my every day walking around, eating, sleeping life? It means that first of all I have to read and study "YOUR WORD". Not trying to find a hidden gem of knowledge but to simply pull out the truth for me. Notice that the word becomes a light (in the Psalm passage). The word become illumination and understanding and helps me to spiritually see what I need to do when I come to circumstances and situations that block my way. The Word is a lamp that I hold on to. I take the the lamp and stretch it out in front of myself (this would represent my future) to see what is out there that may cause me to stumble or fall. The Word of God becomes the light, the glasses that give me fresh new powerful vision to see.

I like the way Psalm 119:105 puts it: It is a lamp for my feet. Not my head, not my hands but my feet. Where the feet go, the rest of the body will follow. If you can't see spiritually where to go, you don't need to be walking. Let the Word be the light that shines before you. Notice how the verse reads: A lamp for my feet and a light for my path. That means that there is a predetermined course or way that has been laid out for me and I am to simple follow it. The name of this path is obedience. Pure and simple we are called to walk in obedience to God and the only way we can ever hope to accomplish this is through the illumination of His Word in my life that changes the way I view things and the way I make decisions. This is the transformation that comes through the indwelling or filling or whatever term you use when the Holy Spirit invades our lives and our time and space.

Psalm 119:130
As Your words are taught, they give light. Even the simple can understand them.

Psalm 119:133
Guide my steps by Your word, so I will not be overcome by any evil.

Psalm 119:59
I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow Your statutes.

What are you using to direct your life today? God? Or the world?
God on you........
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...