Thursday, July 23, 2009

Love?

Larry Norman wrote a great line for a song he recorded back in the early 70's.
Larry wrote: Beatles said all you need is love and then they broke up.
This is the way of the world.
Love that is shallow and flesh motivated.
Love that is not pure and holy.
Today's study took me to Jeremiah 31.
In this chapter, Israel is about to be over run by the army of Babylon. Doom and gloom spread across the land and the people. These actions have been brought to Israel's door because of their sin and rejection of God, yet within this dark period of no hope, God speaks forth and begins to lay out his plan for restoration.

In Verse 3 we read:
The Lord has appeared of old to me, saying,"Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love, therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you and again I will build you, and you shall be rebuilt, O virgin of Israel! You shall again be adorned with your tamborines and shall go forth in the dances of those who rejoice."

The word that caught my eye this morning was the description of the kind of love God has. It is an everlasting love. I truly have no concept of the word "everlasting," other than to say that it is a pretty long time. I can't comprehend a love that can be sustained for such a period of time. My own ability to love is such that I would falter and fail, not being able to do so. Yet here in this verse God speaks of having an everlasting love. God's ability and choice to sustain such a love boggle my mind. Even more troubling is that this affection is directed to me. God loves me not because of anything I possess but because that is who He is. I John says that GOD IS LOVE. It doesn't say God loves, or God can love...................GOD IS LOVE. We try and put God, his character and His emotions into a human form so as to be able to understand Him. But we can't really do this because God is holy, God is perfect and God is pure. An untainted love for a creation that continually turns its back on Him is something that we can untangle to understand. This is the fire that draws me to Him. This God whose ways are higher than mine and whose thoughts are deeper and more complex than anything my feeble mind could come up with. God, who sees all, knows all and yet in the midst of this still loves me with an everlasting love.
All I can say is that I am grateful for this.
Find God today......
He is looking for you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...