Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Today....just today

Psalm 94:18-19
I cried out, "I'm slipping!" And your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me.
When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.

I love the transparency and humanity that we read in Scripture of those who penned these words. How unlike today, in our society, would we be so bold as to admit to such things as falling away from God or our minds being filled with doubt. Some would look at this and claim, "You are proclaiming negative things....you should speak positive words so that they will come to pass." Speaking into existence the things which are not. I don't know much about that except to say that the more I am honest in prayers and in my daily life, the more of God I see and hear.
I hear numerous teachers and pastors make such statements as, "You should not doubt God!" I know that is the place I am headed to, but I'm not there yet. Here is how it works for me. Sometimes I do doubt. The thought comes to my mind, but instead of letting it roll around and grow and turn into belief, I cut it off and began to pray. I talk to God and I confess the doubt. I tell Him that I know this is not part of his plan for me, but none the less the doubt is there. Then I begin to say out loud the things I know to be truth. I repeat verses that reassure me that God is who He says He is and will do what He says He will do. This causes the doubt to dissipate and I find peace once again. But to those who simply say we should not doubt, lets have some mercy on those who do struggle with it. This is not to say that I walk around full of doubt and questioning every thing that goes on. From time to time I find myself in situations or circumstances that cause the doubt to come up. We are a weird breed aren't we.
Find God today
Be Honest and open before Him.
Thank Him for making you the way you are, what with your quirky view of life and your sense of humor. Then ask Him to bring His best out in you, removing all the wrong character traits you carry around, allowing His Spirit to produce in you His nature.

Thanks for stopping by today....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...