Monday, July 27, 2009

A Very Special Day

Psalm 27:13
What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living.

I stood with my wife yesterday as my grand son, Tyler, was baptized.
That is an overwhelming thing to take in.
To stand there and realize that what you are seeing is the result of your own son talking and praying with his son. A new generation that has been brought under the blood of Jesus.
Tyler had come home from vacation Bible school with tons of questions for his father.
Chad took the time to explain each one and to make sure Tyler understood what he was being told. In the end Chad asked Tyler if he would like to "ask Jesus into his heart." Tyler said yes, so the two of them knelt down and prayed together.

Chad took Tyler to see their pastor and to let Tyler share his story. Yesterday was the beginning of the journey for Tyler Bynum. He comes form a long line of Methodist pastors and teachers on my father's side, and Baptist pastors and teachers on my mother's side. I know that if read this you'll think it the prideful ramblings of a grandfather, and you might be right. But there is something else here that I believe is from God and has to do with Tyler.

On the day Tyler was born, as we were going to the hospital, God gave me a scripture. I will not go into the manner in which the Scripture was given, suffice it to say it was not a normal everyday occurrence. The Scripture? Exodus 13:1 -- The Lord said to Moses, "Sanctify (consecrate, set apart) to Me all the first born males. Whatever is first to open the womb among the Israelites both of man and of beast is Mine."

Over the past 7 years, whenever I would tell this story of receiving this verse, I have been viewed as taking something out of context. I have been told that this verse was directed only to Moses and is not relevant for today. Well, if that's the case then let's stop trying to win people to the Kingdom because the Great Commission was directed to the disciples and not to us. I don't really concern myself with what others think. I know that God gave me this verse for a reason. He gave it to me as we pulled into the parking lot of Riverview Regional Hospital on the very morning my grandson was born. Guess what? I did pray over him. When he was born and my son brought to me his son and lay him in my arms, I wept. I looked down at this tiny life and thought, "God has set you aside for His purposes." I placed my hand on his head and I prayed over Tyler, setting him aside for God.

Yesterday was the next step. I saw the goodness of God here in the land of the living. I am full when I stop to realize the power and awesomeness of God as He works His plans here on planet earth. When I consider His hand and the way it has rested upon my family all these years, it is enough to make me want to bow before Him and praise give Him the praises due His name.

God does not slumber........
God is not at rest............
He worketh His plans in spite of the petty strength of the enemy and mankind.
Maranatha, Lord Jesus! Come!

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...