Saturday, July 25, 2009

The WORD of words

O.K.....I confess that I get a little crazy when it comes to this book we call the Bible. I go over the edge in some people's eyes. But I cannot get enough of it. I study it, I read it, I mull over what I read. I have several translations and I am continually swapping and cross referencing verses. I love it.
It's not about me collecting information or trying to become some kind of spiritual intellect. Most of what I study is related to recovery since, if you want to be truthful, we are all recovering from the fall of man and the sin that came with it.

There is a wonderful verse in Psalm 119.
Verse 130. It reads The unfolding of Your word brings light. It gives understanding to the simple. A book thousands of years old is still as relevant today as it was on the day these words were first put down. I love that phrase "the unfolding of your word". It paints of a picture of something being stretched out and revealed a little at a time for the one who is reading it. The Bible is a written voice that speaks beyond our hearing and goes deep into our "knowing" if you catch drift. If you are saved then you have within the key that will unlock the door that will bring you understanding. That key being God's Holy Spirit.
John 16:13-15 reads:
However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth. For He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak, and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine, therefore I said He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

It says that the Spirit of truth (the Holy Spirit) will guide you, show you, lead you into what? All truth. What falls under that description, All Truth? Everything. Every part and partial and smidgen of truth. The greatest truth that the Holy Spirit can lead us into is truth about ourselves as seen against the truth of who God is. It is from here that I surrender my life and my will to God. Why? Because I see myself as God sees me yet at the same time, I see the gift of eternal life that God is offering to me. What an incredible concept. The God of all creation is showing me how I measure up to Him and His standard. Truth is........I don't measure up. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory or nature and character of God. God doesn't leave me in this place of falling short, He then extends to me this gift to accept the work of Jesus on the cross. By saying "yes" to God's invitation, I am given new life. Not just a new behavior or outward appearance, but one that begins with an inside transformation. I am like a new born baby, hence the term most Christians use, born again. As this newborn, I have to learn how to "live" all over again. I am seeing the world through a new vision or view. It is from this new view or vision that I develop this hunger to read God's word.

You may think me a weirdo or a fanatic.
You may wish for that same desire to consume the Bible.

Ask your heavenly Father to give you that hunger and then begin to read. Start in the gospels of the New Testament. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. This is a great way to begin to see Jesus and how He interacted with mankind. If you have any questions E-mail me at

mvb1972@att.net I am not going to tell you that I have all the answers you need, but I will try and help you as we both learn.

God on you........

Michael / Vicki Bynum

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...