Thursday, August 13, 2009

Good Thursday Morning

Sleepy this morning. Yesterday was a whirlwind as I was off but had many appointments to keep.
The weather is definitely "Alabama". Hot and humid. Sticky and miserable. Yet even in this, I thanked God for His love and presence. I always, in a jokingly way, tell the guys when they complain about how hot it is, to think about hell. That will cool you off.

Interesting thing in my reading this morning.
I Timothy 1:2 - To Timothy my true son in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
Paul has written many letters to many different churches and people, yet here in I Timothy, we have the only time that Paul used the word "mercy" in one of the introduction in his letters.
Mercy.
Mercy is God giving us what we don't deserve and keeping from us that which we do deserve.
What is it I don't deserve? Eternal life with Him. Salvation. Reconciliation. All of those are thing that God, from a heart of love, pours out on those who receive him. What is it I do deserve? Easy........hell! I earned it. I worked for it before I met Jesus. Hell was to be my reward for the sin I committed. But here again, God paid my price for me to redeem me into the Kingdom of heaven.
The richness of God's mercy. It has substance beyond that which I can comprehend. Mercy that elevates me to life with God. Mercy that was given to grow me, stretch me and make me into the man God wants me to be. Hebrews says that I find grace at the Mercy seat or throne of God. Think on it. God who will ultimately come to judge the world for their sin, sits on a throne of mercy that is made available to me. I can come before Him with my prayers and petitions. What mercy that is! My life isn't a series of random events that unravel and unfold, but rather is directed by the hand of God and through it all...................Mercy is poured out to me.

Think on God's mercy today. I mean really ponder it. How would your life have turned out had God not shown you mercy? Where would you be today if not for God's mercy?
Then thank God for mercy. Be grateful today. No matter what you state in this life, no matter what your circumstances, they could be worse. Be grateful today.

God on you.......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...