Tuesday, September 22, 2009

We Need To Be Reminded


Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh what a foretaste of glory divine
Heir of salvation, purchase of God
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
Perfect submission, perfect delight
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight
angels descending bring from above
echoes of mercy, whispers of love....
This is my story, this is my song
Praising my Saviour all the day long
This is my story, this is my song
Praising my Saviour all the day long
Perfect submission all is at rest
I in my Saviour am happy and blest
Watching and waiting looking above
filled with His mercy, lost in His love
I struggled for years with the assurance that Jesus was, in fact, mine and I was his.
I was filled with doubt and fear and asked nightly as I lay awake in my bed, "Am I saved?" Every time I sat at church under powerful teaching, I would come under such great conviction that at the first mention of an invitation, I would be out of the pew and down to the front on my knees asking God to save me.
I do not know the moment or the time but years had passed and during one particular service I was filled with assurance. I didn't ask for it. I didn't seek it. I didn't even know it was going to come to me, but what a present it was. The simple knowing that comes to fill you and confirms that you are truly saved and belong to God.
The song, Blessed Assurance, is particularly close to my heart. Because I do have a story to sing about and tell with others. Like the blind man in John Chapter 9, I don't know that I could explain what happened. All I know is that once I was lost, now I am found.
Thank you Jesus.....
God on you..........
mb

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Thank God for assurance. I'm convinced we Christians don't know all that much about how salvation works. God just does it! For many it's a long process. I ask Jesus to come into my life so many times growing up that I lost count. I vote to start asking Jesus too accept us instead of us accepting him!

Greene Street Letters said...

Amen and Amen!
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...