Thursday, October 29, 2009

It IS me!


No matter how many times I say it, it still rings with truth. It is not merely words that are spoken for effect. To arouse some feeling in others that I might feel good about myself. I don't say them to draw attention to myself in an effort to get others to view me in a particular way. I say them because they are true. Simply that! They are true.
The words are true in spite of the fact that I wish they weren't. I wish this because when I confess them, I see how small I am. I see how inept I am. I see how corrupt I could be if I threw off the restraints and gave wholly into my sinful nature. What words could hold such power over my life? Simple.....
"I am in need of being saved. I am in need of a great savior."
The admission that even after years of being a "Christian" I still find myself in this place. A place, I'm not so sure, we ever truly move from. In moving, I am fully aware that I would grab the reins from God and proclaim myself to be the driver of this carriage. In view of God's great mercy, I see the "true" me. In light of God's nature and grace, I am brought to the place of seeing myself as I truly am without God's grace . I am in need of being saved.
Saved from what?
From myself?
From my own selfish, self-centered desires that would use others to get and have whatever was desired.
From the power of sin.
From the penalty of sin.
From the pull of sin.
From hell.
From eternal separation with God.
The list goes on and on.
In all of this, I am in need of being saved.
As John Newton so aptly put it..............
"I am a great sinner............and He is a great God."
Herein is the perfect view of humanity. One that we should never try and escape from. This is the place of humility and healing.
Like the picture above, I stand in a less than sea-worthy craft, adrift on a stormy sea. I cannot, nor will I, survive in such a place. I am in need of being saved.
Thank you Lord for Jesus, your son.
For his death and resurrection.
For the offer of eternal life to me, a sinner.
He is a great God.
See you tomorrow.......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...