Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Samuel Chadwick on Prayer


Samuel Chadwick on prayer: "Satan dreads nothing but prayer. The church that lost its Christ was full of good works. Activities are multiplied that meditation may be ousted and organizations are increased that prayer may have no chance. Souls may be lost in good works, as surely as in evil ways. The one concern of the devil is to keep the saints from praying. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, prayerless religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray."
This I know all too well.
It is easy to be caught up, swept up and carried along by the
busy-ness that creeps into our relationship with Jesus.
To put off the true heart of God and the things He desires from us
to lay hold of tasks and works thinking all the while that we
are truly doing God's work.
Then we wonder why everything is so dry.
Why our teaching falls on deaf ears and hard hearts.
Why? Because the words we say, even though are from Scripture,
lack the power of the Holy Spirit.
They are God's words spoken through mans efforts.
I can write this not to point to anyone else but myself.
Seeing the need to return to "time with God."
Not a cursory nod of the head or a sentence here and there
to acknowledge His sovereignty, but to
realize that I am nothing without Him.
One of my favorite stories comes from John Wimber, leader of the Association of Vineyard churches.
John relates a story of being on a trip to Detroit and just being physically wiped out.
Sitting on the plane, ill and angry at the way things had gone, John began to pray.
"Why Lord, why are things turning out like this?"
The answer came back quickly.
"I've seen what you have done and I'm not impressed."
God went on to speak with John, "Now are you ready to see what I can do?"
John resounded with "Yes!"
In my own life, I have seen what I can do and I really am not impressed.
I think I'm ready to see what God can do.
To lay aside everything except where He leads me to.
To pray with purpose.
"Your kingdom come......Your will be done.....here on earth as it is in heaven."
Let it come...
God on you...until tomorrow....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...