Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Whoa...Dude!

Matthew 16: 8- 11
O you of little faith, why do you reason among yourselves because you have brought no bread? Do you not yet understand, or remember the five loaves of the five thousand and how many baskets you took up? Nor the seven loaves of the four thousand and how many large baskets you took up? How is it you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread? But to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

The disciples were having an argument among themselves because they felt that Jesus was chastising them for not bringing bread on their journey. They had left in a hurry and no one had thought to bring provision for the group. "Bread? I thought you got it Peter!" "No! Don't look at me, I was getting the boat ready. John, you were in charge of Bread!" "No I wasn't, it was James' job and we all know what a slacker he is!"
I can just hear them quibbling and quarreling over the matter and all the while Jesus, standing there watching them, cannot believe that this group of men have missed the point entirely.

Jesus had warned them to "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees." Their influence and subtle teaching that infiltrated and attempted to undermine the work Jesus was doing. The disciples were not really hearing what Jesus was saying. Isn't that the way we are?
Hearing but not understanding. Hearing and drawing our own conclusions. Hearing but not truly hearing what God is saying. I feel like I'm in this place right now. I'm receiving what I perceive to be a lot of communication from God but I'm not sure I understand what is being told to me. I don't want to take it and translate it into "Michael-ese". Make it say what I think God is saying. No! I want to wait until it is made clear to me.

In the middle of the disciples argument, Jesus points out to them the futility of their disagreement. He reminds them of the two instances where Father God provided sustenance for the crowd of 5000 and another of 4000. Jesus was revealing to them the pettiness of their faith (which wasn't much) and the focus of their attention (which was way out in left field). They were consumed with "wonder bread" and Jesus was saying that the leaven of the religious guys would be their doom if they did now wake up and understand what was going on right there around them.

The behavior among Jesus' disciples is still around today in our churches. Focused on things that don't really cause us to grow or promote the kingdom of God, we fall prey to neglecting the really purpose God has. We loose sight of what truly is important and weighs on the God's heart. I have heard more than one pastor pray the following, " God! Break our hearts with the things that break yours!" Oh that we really desired this attitude. I do believe that God would grant it to us, and that we might find the things we think are important and life changing are nothing more than fluff and dust.

Today, Lord! Your favor and guidance on us here at Rapha. Our desire is to be light and salt to those who are lost in the darkness and without your "flavor".
Meet our needs and you be our provision.
Your authority and rule be established here over this camp. Set us on fire with your Holy Spirit. Revive us again in this dark time for your kingdom.
In Jesus name,
Amen...

Until tomorrow....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...