Monday, December 21, 2009

I'm Back


Yep! I'm back after a few days off. Vicki and I flew to Iowa City, Iowa last Thursday to see our son, Joshua, and his wife, Heather, graduate from the University of Iowa. Both received DMA's in Music Performance.
It was great to be able to spend with them both which was my Christmas present this year. The older I get, the more family and friends mean to me.
To get together to share a cup of coffee and some pie, to talk and laugh and just enjoy each other is better than any gift I could ever imagine.
Iowa in December? Cold. Three degrees cold. Snow piled up cold. Currier and Ives Christmas Prints cold. Vicki checked out the temp before we left and saw that it was 3 degrees for the high that day. She came to me and said, "I don't have clothes for 3." Truth is, I don't know many who do. God was gracious because the day we landed, the temperature was 28 degrees. It was wonderful to see the snow, but I'm not to crazy about driving in it. Slick spots and curves do not go together well.
We are counting down the days till Christmas. Somewhere in all the craziness and the hustle and bustle of the day is the birth of Christ. We celebrate the day, but not the reason sometimes. Oh, we give lip service to it. We may even take a moment of silence as a way to observe it. But what does it mean to celebrate the birth of Jesus? Truth is, the world doesn't understand. I think the answer may be found in the salutation that the angel gave to the shepherds when announcing the birth of the Christ child.
Luke 2:13-14
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth Peace to men on whom his favor rests."
Did you catch that?
It isn't peace on earth and goodwill to men.
It is Peace, the peace that comes from being saved and having a right relationship with Jesus.
This peace that rests only on those on whom God's favor rests.
What does that mean?
It means we are no longer enemies of God.
We have, through our salvation, have been made and put in right standings with God.
Our names are written in the Lamb's book of life and from there, upon pronouncement, we will be ushered into everlasting life.
What an incredible thought!
The things of earth do not matter.
The world doesn't know what to do with Jesus.
The world has no place for him. There was no room at the end when he was born and there is no room in the heart of sinful man today for Christ.
Christ continues to call out, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Today, if you haven't done so ever before, listen for the voice of Jesus in your heart.
Listen to his offer of peace............real peace.
This could be the best Christmas you have ever had.
Merry Christmas!
Good to be home.....
See you tomorrow right here at the Greene Street Letters.
mb

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Welcome home! Are you eating with Jim Wednesday morning? I'm like you, the older I get the more family and friends mean to me. I'm glad you had a good visit to Iowa. Peace

Greene Street Letters said...

Yes! I will be there at the Holy Waffle House around 7:30 a.m. Come and join us.
MB

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...