Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hello My Name Is MIchael and I'm A..........

Weather is a lot better today than it was a week ago.
Today, cloudy and drizzly (is that a word?) with temps in the high 40's and low 50's.
Weather will keep everyone in today. I'm sure most of the guys here at Rapha will catch up on their sleep, homework or laundry.

As I read the letters that the apostle Paul wrote, I find myself curious as to how he viewed himself in his relationship with Jesus. Now for the most part, I think that today most people give no thought as to how they fit into relationship with Jesus. But truth is, we do occupy a place and unless we understand how we fit, we miss some wonderful benefits and blessings that come with knowing.

In Philippians chapter one, Paul writes (NLT) "This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus." He refers to himself as a slave. What an interesting choice of words. The closest thing we could come up with would be a prisoner, such as one in the county jail or state penitentiary. The word slave used in Philippians 1:1 is the Greek word doulous. A word that means servant or one who is submitted. The submission is of a voluntary will that finds a greater good by occupying the servant place rather than be free to choose and do as one pleases.

Sometimes I think we of this day and age have lost sight of the commitment that comes with being saved. We have glossed it over to simply mean all my mess has been cleaned up and forgotten and if I'm good then I get to go to heaven when I die and sit around on clouds all day and play a harp. Man! If that is all there is to being saved, you can have it. In fact if that is the view that is held concerning salvation, then it is the most selfish, self-centered, it-is-all-about-me view that is as far from the truth as it can possibly be.

Paul, probably the most religious man ever to walk this earth, threw all the religion and benefits that he had away to live and die for this Jesus Christ he had been persecuting through the destruction of the church. Paul chunked it all and said, "I am yours! Do what you will." He lived it! The view today seems to be only to include Christ in our daily lives as part of it and not central to it. This is not good theology. Ours is to simply hear and follow. I know many who want to boil down their relationship with Christ to measuring their feelings. "I feel as though God said this" or "I feel like God is leading me to this place". What does the word say? We don't get to follow based on our feelings. It is a wonderful thing when you are overcome emotionally by God. But God does not lead through our feelings. II Corinthians 5:7 --We walk by faith and not by sight. Romans 10:17 -Faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God.
This is not to discredit the feelings, but to realize they are not the gauge and measure of following Jesus.

So how would you describe your position in your relationship with Jesus?
Slave...
Servant....
Co-pilot...

God on you.......
mb

2 comments:

Talon5 said...

All religions are nothing more than archaic old myths. All primitive cultures have had their "creation myths" wich over the centuries, have evolved into the world's current religions. All are just old myths and made up stories.

If there IS a supreme, ultimate being/creator, god etc. It is unknowable. Anyone who pretends to know what such a being wants or claims to know the nature of such a being is living in a fantasy world.

You cannot rely on millenia-old myths, written by primitive, superstitious cultures to tell you anything real about anything. To do so is ludicrous

Greene Street Letters said...

Thanks for the posting. Your insight is not alone as there are many out there who feel and think like you do. However all I can write from and share from is what has happened to me and my life.
There is a blind man in scripture that Jesus healed, when questioned about the who and the why the man, now healed could only respond, "All I know is that I was blind............and now I can see."
That is the only thing I can share with you. My life was a wreck with destruction at every turn....now it isn't. Why? I cried out to God and he saved me. Other than that, I have no explanation to offer.
God bless you....
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...