Saturday, January 23, 2010

What I Learned This Week!

1.) When I add to God's instructions, I invite trouble into my future.
A.) Genesis 12:1-4 - God instructs Abram to leave a.) his country, b.) his relatives, c.) his father's house. Easy! Three things to do. Abram leaves his country. Abram leaves his father's house. Abram leaves his relati......whoops! Abram took his nephew with him and this would come back to cause him trouble on down the road. We do not get to interject our will into God's will. We don't get to mix our wants and desires with what God has commanded us to do. When we seek to add to what God has told us, we are only setting up some heartache ahead. Lesson that I have to really learn.

2.) We may get what we want but not want what we get.
A.) Genesis 13:10-13 - Abram lets Lot choose which part of the land he desires to possess and live in. Lot, looking up, sees the most lush and green, fertile place his old traveling eyes have ever seen. "I want to go down there and live. What was the name? Sodom and Gomorah? Sounds like good folk to me." Trouble was that when Lot got there he quickly became a part of their society which was not a good thing. The very thing that Lot thought he wanted to own became the very thing that caused the loss of his wife. Be careful what you want, God may indeed let you have it.

Just some of the lessons I was taught this week.
Hopefully I won't have to ride in this rodeo again and I can move on.
After all, my wife says that I am very teachable.
I agree.

God on you....
See you Monday....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...