Thursday, February 11, 2010

Falling Back Or Making Excuses?

Strange thoughts floating through my head today.
I find myself sometimes falling back on my humanity when I talk to God.
I find myself trying to explain away my shortcomings, my sin, my lack of discipline on the fact that I am human. The conversation goes something like this.

"God, you know me. You know me better than myself. You know that you created me and that I am a flawed individual. You know my nature better than I know myself."
(it's as though I am trying to plead a case that has already been decided, sick puppy that I am)

"The things I do should not catch you unaware. The behaviors and attitudes I carry around and display are all part of the "brokenness" of being human. You are divine.....you are God and me....well, I am dust and dirt and everything messed up because of Adam in the garden."

Even as I go through this little rehearsal in talking with God, one simple fact escapes me. Ther very fact that I am having this conversation with God shows just how messed up I am. Like I am going to con God or at least get Him to execute some hidden codicil within the law that will excuse my sinful nature yet will make a provision where I can keep sinning because of my humaness. Scripture provides otherwise, it's called confession and repentence.
God has provided everything needed to rise above my humanness. That I am without excuse and reason to not be "holy as He is holy." God understands better than anyone the fallacy and futility of humanity. He understands the darkness of the human heart and in His mercy and grace has provided a path, a way (that would be Jesus) that leads to life, real life. So, I can mumble and gripe and move around in my mess or I can repent and confess and accept this way that God provides and once and for all time move on. It's not a rejection of our humanity, it is God overcoming all the sin and mistakes and bad choices to lift us to new life with Him. I have to choose. I have to surrender. I have to let God kill the "old man" within me and resurrect me to a new life. I have to be born again, saved, redeemed and all those other terms attached to life with God. It is in my surrender that God empowers me to live life here in this imperfect world on His terms not the worlds. That I can do.

Today is going to be a good day as I seek first the Kingdom rule of God in my life followed by His nature or righteousness.
Find God today....

God on you.......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...