Saturday, February 20, 2010

Food For The Weekend


From Dietrich Bonhoffer's book The Cost Discipleship
"Revival of church life always brings in its train a richer understanding of the Scriptures. Behind all the slogans and catchwords of ecclesiastical controversy, necessary though they are, there arises a more determined quest for him who is the sold object of it all, for Jesus Christ himself."
IF you look at the what the church calls "a move of God" over the past 20 years, you will see extravagant outpourings of God's Spirit. What is the outcome of it all? Where does it lead?
Does it lead those who have plunged head long into this work deeper in relationship, or does it simply fade away.
I am reminded of the great response of the church to Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ. People went repeatedly to see this movie because it stirred something deep within them.
But here, years later, do we see a real change?
I hope so.
I pray that we never sit under such gifts and presents given to us by God and then act like spoiled children, casting aside the first gift asking, "Where are my other gifts."
I pray that I grow up before I grow older.
I find that as the years have gone by my attention and my desire for "things"
has waned.
Oh, I still enjoy taking trips with my wife and seeing my kids and grand kids....
But the things that use to be important seem so empty and without promise.
Maybe that is wisdom given to us by God as we approach the end of our days.
(Not that I'm planning on checking out but you do have to be realistic)
I don't want to take anything for granted that God sends my way and I definitely
do not want to forsake Him and place his blessings higher than He is.
In church-ese that would be "Seeking the gift rather than the giver of gifts".
You might want to pick up a copy of Bonhoffer's book at your local bookstore.
It is one of two books that I am continually reading over and over.
I guess I'll keep doing that until God say, "Hey, you're getting it!"
Until Monday
God on you....
mb


3 comments:

Bobby said...

Every Christian should read The Cost Of Discipleship.

Yang Long Home said...

I was much moved by "The Cost of Discipleship" also, like Bobby Sparks in the other comment.

I wonder if you mis-typed one word. Rather than "sold," should it be "sole"?

...a more determined quest for him who is the sole object of it all, Jesus Christ himself." Is that correct?

Greene Street Letters said...

Agreed..."Sole"......but at the same time....I am bought. I have "sold" myself to be a bondslave to Jesus. Thanks for the correction. My mind and my fingers war over which letters to strike.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...