Monday, March 8, 2010

Family Reunion

It wasn't until 1998 that I began to understand how big the family of God (body of Christ/ Church) really was.
I was in Toronto, Canada for a Catch The Fire conference hosted by the Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship and found myself surrounded by thousands of people from other countries.
Now being a good ol' boy from here in the Southern United States, I had never really traveled (that is strayed for us Southerner's) that far from home. But here I was........smack dab in the middle of an international gathering.

My most vivid memory of that entire trip was of a cab ride I took from the hotel to the conference. As I climbed into my cab, another man asked if I was going to the conference and if we could split the cab fare. Being the tightwad I was, I said sure. A conversation struck up between us, his English not being very good but on the other hand, my Taiwanese wasn't that great either. He introduced himself to me and shared a little about his life and how he had come half-way around the world to this conference. As he shared, tears filled his eyes and he asked me if I would pray for him. "Sure," I replied. I asked if there was anything specific and he answered yes. He was a member of a small village in Taiwan and they had gotten word that God was moving in these Toronto meetings. His village collected money to see if they had enough to send someone so that this individual could bring back to them what God was doing in Toronto. This man had been selected to be the village "sponge" (that is how he designated himself) to go to Toronto and "soak" up everything that was going on and then bring it back to pour over the people of the village. He told me that he was so afraid that he would not get everything that God was doing, that he did not want to miss anything for his people. I prayed for him.
I never saw him again during that time in Toronto and since then, I have wondered about this man and the people of his village. I have prayed that God would have come and poured out through this man what was needed. I believe that God did. I believe that God honored the prayers of this man and his people. I came away with a deeper appreciation of the mosaic of God's church. How it is made up of all the different peoples of this planet.

That is why I pray that as you visit here at Greene Street Letters, you would find something that encouraged you or uplifted you or kept you from quitting in your walk with Jesus. I pray that if you don't know about Jesus, you would find the truth and begin this journey in your own life.
I don't write as one who is better than anyone else. I am merely trying to make my way through life and as I do, I simply what to share what Jesus has shared with me.
Know that you are loved by my wife and me.
Know that we pray for you...........
God on you today...........
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...