Thursday, March 4, 2010

'Fess Up

No one likes to get caught when they are doing something they know is wrong.
When we are uncovered, there is always a lot of "I'm sorry" and "I'll never do this again," but the truth is, we are only sorry because we got caught.

I noticed something during a study time that I had not ever really paid attention to before.
In Genesis Chapter 3 after the woman has eaten of the fruit and the man had done likewise, God shows up. He begins to question them about what was going on . The questions come not because God doesn't know, but because He is trying to give them an opportunity to confess and repent.

Both the man and the woman give excuses for their actions (Sound familiar?). The man's excuse was that God had given him a broken and defective woman. The woman's excuse was that she had been deceived by the serpent. If you read their explanations though, you'll find the confession at the end of their statements. It isn't flowery, it isn't wracked with emotion...instead it is a simple statement.
Last part of Genesis 3:12 ---"And I ate."
Last part of Genesis 3:13 -- "And I ate."
A confession for their actions. They both admitted they were responsible. Both admitted that they made the decision to act outside of God's commands. It is such a simple statement but within those 3 words...."And I Ate"....we find the entire history of man's suffering here on this planet.
From those simple 3 words, this couple would lose a son to murder. Not only that, it was another son of theirs who was responsible. From that point on, sin multiplied as mankind grew. With each passing generation, sin continued to lead us downward into a pit of despair and darkness. We were incapable of pulling ourselves from this pit. If you think about it, it only makes sense. How can I pull myself from something that I created. It would take a power greater than me to perform such a gigantic task.

Yet just as the man and woman confessed in Genesis 3 by saying, "And I ate"....it was on a cross that those three words were undone and destroyed by three more words.
Jesus the Christ, hanging between heaven and earth on a cross, at the moment of his death said, "It is finished." Three simple words that contained the salvation of mankind that had tracked and followed him down through history seeking to destroy him. With those three words, "It is finished!" Jesus broke the power of sin that came in with "And I ate."
Praise God! What a savior.
Lay hold of that thought today.
Sin's power has been broken and life, real life has been offered through the shed blood of Jesus.
Think on these things today.

God on you..........
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...