Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How Long Lord?

I've been in Habakkuk, reading and studying. More reading than studying.
Lots of prophetic Scripture about God revealing his plans for the future of Jerusalem.
It's hard for me to read about God warning the people time and time again. He sent prophets to speak his word. He sent signs to awaken the people and yet they still held onto their sin. Their disobedience multiplied by their rejecting God and turning to idols and other forms of worship.

Poor ol' Habakkuk is stuck in the middle of this mess. Do you ever wonder whether or not he was tempted to join the crowd? Chapter one begins with Habakkuk asking God a question. Well, it more of Habakkuk crying out to God out of frustration and anger.
"HOW LONG! How long O Lord must I call for help? But you do not listen! Violence! I cry, but you do not come to save." Isn't that part of our problem? We look around at the state of our country, at the state of the world and cry out to God...."What's up with all of this? The bad guys are winning. Hey God! What about us? What about those of us who have chosen to be on your side?"

I think I have to remember that God is still in control of everything even when it looks like he isn't. If you read on in Chapter one at verse 5 God answers Habakkuk's cry.
The Lord replied, "Look at the nations and be amazed! Watch and be astounded at what I will do! For I am doing something in own day, something you wouldn't believe even if someone told you about it."

God tells Habakkuk, quit whining and crying (even though Habakkuk probably had reason to) and realize that a greater work is taking place. God goes on to say that you might not be able to see or discern it at this moment, but keep watching and you will see what I am doing.
I find comfort in that passage.
To know that no matter what is going on in my part of the world, God already knows. God is working a plan that I probably can't see. I think this part falls under faith and trust. My faith to trust God that he knows best and that no matter what happens, he isn't caught off guard. No matter what happens, he still is at work to bring his Kingdom in.

In Chapter two there is an interesting verse where God continues his dialog with Habakkuk.
Verse 3, God says, "But these things I plan won't happen right way. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed."

Be careful what you take into yourself.
Be careful what you watch and listen to.

The news on TV and the Internet is full of fear right now. Don't let that become a part of you.
Fear leads to anxiousness.
Anxiousness leads to doubt.

Doubt leads to making bad decisions.
Why?
Because you are fearful.
Time and time again in Scripture when God would speak to someone or someone would receive an angelic visitation, the first thing spoken was usually "FEAR NOT!"

Find the peace of God for your heart today.
Then walk in it.
Don't let the world or its message rob you of it and know that God's plans are being worked out around you in you this day.
Think on these things.

God on you.......
mb

4 comments:

Bobby said...

Fear not is the message of the hour. But if someone is afraid turn to Ps.46 or 91 and don't forget 37!

Greene Street Letters said...

I want to learn to ever trust God on an increasing level. I dont' want to be a slave to fear again.
mb

sHiBu said...

I am sure i lead by the Holy Spirit when i came to your blog, it was just accidental. This message is just what i needed at this hour.. For me it is some important decisions to take in life, i doubt is that out of my fear? And the message i got is this “I have to take those in peace which Christ" :) God Bless

Greene Street Letters said...

Doubt does come from our fear sometimes. Fear keeps me from trusting God to help me with whatever situation I am facing.
We all struggle with this so I don't want you feel as though you are alone.
I will be praying for you that the peace of God would fill you. Please pray the same for me and my family. Thank you so much for sharing with me here at the Greene Street Letters.
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...