Saturday, April 17, 2010

Baptism Day


This is a photo taken on February the 12th this year. Snow day! If you stand in the spot where this photo was taken, it looks a lot different today. The trees are full and green and the shade extends across the creek.
Today we begin baptizing for this year.
A number of men have approached me about being baptized, so today is the day.
I have a picture of my grand father, who was a preacher, and he is conducting a baptismal service in a creek like the one we use. He is down in the water and there are perhaps 50-75 people all around him waiting to be baptized. My mother told me that this particular picture was taken at the end of a revival service my grand father had conducted. I don't think anything stirs my heart more than seeing some come to a saving knowledge and relationship with Jesus and then comes to be baptized. I tell the guys that this is "payday" for me. To be down in the water and watch them, one by one, come out and enter into the ordination of baptism. It doesn't get any better than that. I haven't found any other place I'd rather baptized than in the creek here at Rapha. There's nothing magic about it. There's not anything more spiritual about the place than say a church baptistery. But it is just special for me.
I am grateful that God has allowed me to participate in baptizing.
Romans 6:3-7
Or have you forgotten that when we became Christians and were baptized to become one with Christ Jesus, we died with him? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the the Father, now we also may live new lives. Since we have been united with him in his death, we will also be raised as he was. Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. For when we died with Christ we were set free from the power of sin.
God on you..
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...