Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One Of A Kind....Love Affair


You don't hear much about heaven any more.
Wonder why?
Most teaching focuses on life here...........life now.
Back in the 1930's through 1950's it was all about heaven.
Could it be that life was so hard here during that time, that the message of a better life in heaven was more acceptable? I think maybe that is the case.
So what does that say about our current time?
It says maybe we are really in love with the world and it's system, especially here in the United States.
Leisure and pleasure dominate the lifestyle of most Americans.
Bigger cars.
Bigger houses.
Bigger vacations.
Our reason for working is to create a life that is pleasurable and comfortable.
To create a life that is as pain free as we can possible make it.
Is this wrong?
It is when this view becomes the very reason we get up every morning.
Maybe heaven is viewed as 2nd best when it comes to living.
Maybe we love it here on earth and the thought of being heaven is boring or even unappealing.

The message that comes from some churches is the pursuit of a life here on this planet is the highest calling we can achieve.
DO good.
Love your neighbor.
Get just enough Jesus in your life to keep you from going to hell.
Heaven....
Nah! I love it right here.
60" Plasma TV.......
New Cars......
What more could you want?
Truth be known, to love the world is to be an enemy of the cross.
To love the world is to love the temporary.
Why not fall in love with eternity?
Hey...God doesn't mind us having "Stuff".
God doesn't mind us having possessions.
God doesn't want possessions and position to have us.
John 14:1-3
"Don't be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me. There are many rooms in my Father's home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly. When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am."
Yep! I've got to live here and work here, but I am going to keep one eye on heaven.
That is where I am headed.
As Larry Norman said, "The world is in a mess. Don't ask me who began it. This world is not my home, I'm only visiting this planet."
God on you.......
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Heaven, it's what I've been thinking about lately. But do I really want to go....now? I'm seeking to be more heavenly minded and I'm not that much earthly good anyways. :) Randy Alcorn wrote a great book on Heaven if anyone is interested. Good word m.b.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...