Monday, April 19, 2010

Running into Jesus



It was a good day yesterday. I was unsure what to teach and Monday's sometimes are really hard. The weekend was over and guys were trying to get back into the swing of things. Sometimes they are very dull and not attentive to what is being taught, but the class must go on. Taught from Psalm 51, about the personal interaction that God likes to have with us.
We see such phrases as "cleanse me", "wash me", "create in me", and "restore me." All pointing to the fact that God is an up-close and personal God. Genesis 2 says that God "formed" man from the dust of the earth. Formed giving the idea that we were a hands on project where God himself was personally involved. I like that.

I told the men that they, for the most part, had no frame of reference for God. They had maybe read about Him or been to church but had not had an encounter with Him. I asked who would like to be prayed for and have such an encounter, a young man stepped forward. I began to pray and ask God to come and (as some denominations would say) fall on him. It wasn't long before it happened and as we prayed quietly, the young man began to tremble and sway. After a few seconds, he fell backwards and was caught, gently laid to the floor where he rested in God for the next several minutes. I had not touched him or placed my hands on him in any way. It was truly a moment where God came and met with this young man. Several others came forward for prayer and the God came to them in different ways. Some said that it felt like electricity flowing through their bodies. Some got so peaceful and the minds seem to drop all the clutter and thoughts that had been following them around. For the first time in a long time, their minds and hearts were at peace.
The one thing I see as I read the history of the church, those who walked close to God did so because of ongoing relationship and interaction with God, the father, through the work of the Holy Spirit. Their communication was to Jesus, our great mediator and advocate, who intercedes for us to the Father. That is why I am all about being hungry for God and for His purity and His presence.
Psalm 25:4-5
Show me your ways, O Lord. Teach my your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.
God on you.........
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

God's presence changes everything. More Lord!

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...