Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Why?


Kids!
I love the way their minds work.
I love the way they process information.
I am thankful for grand kids because they keep me young.
They make me quit thinking like an adult and think like they do.
On the way to school the other day, Tyler, my grand son, and I engaged in a very stimulating conversation.
"Poppa....when I get old enough, I want to go to college."
I asked Tyler, "Which college would you like to attend?"
Without hesitation Tyler replied, "The University of Alabama or the University of Texas."
I then began to ask questions as to why these two particular choices. It became very apparent that sports was the main reason. Tyler then asked why you would need to pick a certain college to go to. Why couldn't you just go to which ever college you wanted to?
I told him that it really depended on what field of work you would want to do. I explained that his dad and mom had attended Jacksonville University because they wanted to both teach. Jacksonville was the logical choice for them.
Tyler asked me if he had to go to college or were there jobs that he could do that didn't require college. I told him, "Yes, there were jobs out there that he could do."
We rode in silence for a while and I could tell that Tyler was thinking about our conversation. Suddenly, like a light bulb had gone off, Tyler turned to me and said, "Poppa, I know what I want to do and I won't even have to go to college to do it."
"What?" I replied.
"I want to be a Verizon Telephone salesman."
Where did that come from? A Telephone salesman?
I kind of giggled and reached over and put my arm around Tyler and said, "Aim a little higher son."
I think our Father in heaven does the same for us.
He has these on going conversations with his children.
At some point, we tell him what we are going to do....
lovingly, he puts his arm around us and says, "Aim a little higher my child."
Why settle for good things, when God is wanting for you God things?
Why settle for a peaceful mind, when Scripture says that we can have the mind of Christ?
I do not want my walk with him to fall short because of unbelief or fear of what the future holds.
I want to believe God for everything he is trying to do in my life.
I do not want to cut short his work because of unbelief or lack of faith.
I guess the word for the day is "Aim higher".
God on you.......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...