Saturday, May 15, 2010

For Me.......

Psalm 147:1
How good it is to sing praises to our God! How delightful and how right.

I think it is so funny that when we read verses like the one above we automatically link "singing to God" with being in a church building. Dressed in our Sunday best or at least our Sunday Casual-ness, in rows, holding books or watching overheads, singing to God.

What if that verse meant to "Sing praises to God" while you were in the shower?
What better place to worship God than in the shower. At least there you have nothing to hide (pun intended). At least in the shower there is nothing between you and God except water.

What if singing to God was o.k. while you were mowing the grass? Maybe baking a cake. Walking the dog. Sitting on the front porch. Hanging out with friends. You see, I don't think there is a bad time or place to sing praises to OUT God. I think if we limit the praise to only Sunday, it's kind of like treating church as visiting hours at the jail.
"How you doing Lord?"
"They treating you o.k. in here?"
"Do you need anything?"
"Well, we'll see you next Sunday!"
How sick is that?

For me personally, the best times of praise is when there isn't a song, so to speak, but I just kind of cut loose and sing what's in my heart. Oh the tune ain't that great and the words don't always rhyme, but it's real and it's from the heart. I think God likes it when we leave the page and the notes and go straight to the heart and spirit for our songs.

Have you ever tried to sing your prayers to God? Now that is way cool. Mine always sound kind of like blues songs. Not that I'm depressed or down but my prayers just have a way of being like a heart cry to God.
Don't discount the power of music.
After all, God created it.
The devil warped it.

Until Monday....
God on you.......
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...