Friday, May 28, 2010

Isaiah 35

I always look to Isaiah 35 as the "hope" chapter.
The heading in my Bible says "Hope for restoration".
I was restored yesterday.
I am being restored today.
I will be restored tomorrow.
It is a work in progress.
Sometimes when we look at what is going on in our lives, it feels like we are going backwards.
It even feels like we are being punished. (isn't it funny that we use the term punished instead of disciplined when we are the ones going through everything.)

In Isaiah 35 there are some incredible pictures and visions that can come forth as you read the words.
V1. - Even the wilderness will rejoice in those days. The desert will blossom with flowers.
A.) That's weird! The change from wilderness to flowers happens when rejoicing takes place. Could it be that worship is part of this restoration? That no matter where we are today (it begins with wilderness) when we worship that opens the door for change and restoration. Now before you write me and call me new age or heathen.....we do not cancel confession and repentance.

V.2 - Yes, there will be an abundance of flowers and singing and joy! The deserts will become as green as the mountains of Lebanon, as lovely as Mount Carmel's pastures and the plain of Sharon. There the Lord will display his glory, the splendor of our God.
A.) I love this! An abundance! Not a few pots scattered around. Not some flea market vases full of plastic flowers. But an abundance! Abundance of what? Evidence of change that God is bringing to our lives. This is also coupled with singing and joy. I don't see this part as being like church where we go and sit in rows and sing the first, second and last stanza. I see it as each person just abandoning themselves to God. Abandoning themselves and just going crazy, not even thinking about the person next to them.
B.) It is in the evidence (flowers) of change and in the singing and joy that we find that this is the place where God will display his glory (nature). I guess Scripture is true when it reads that God will come down and inhabit the praises of His people. One translation says that God will come down and put on the praises of His people like a coat. Cool!

V.3 - With this news, strengthen those who have tired hands, and encourage those who have weak knees.
A.) Tell the story. Better yet, tell your story. Tell what God has done to you. Tell of your love for him. Don't cover your story with religious jargon or "church-speak" ...put it in words that others can understand.

Like I said, Isaiah 35 is an incredible chapter.
Read over it.
Chew on what you have read and digest it.
Let God reveal to you the things that you need to see and understand.
Have a good weekend.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...