Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's The Long Day

Long day?
I know....
All days have 24 hours in them, but the perception of the individual makes it seem longer or shorter.
For me, the day began at 5:27 a.m.
Make coffee for my sweetie. Just about the time I plug in the percolator (yep! A good ol' fashion percolator) she comes amblin' out of the bedroom and begins her morning routine.
We assemble ourselves in the living room where we partake of our first cup of coffee.
Time in the word.
Time in the morning paper.
Check out the weather for the day.
She is off to work and I am off to prepare teachings for the day.

In Titus 2:2 we read:
That the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience...
That's a pretty good list. I think it should be on my refrigerator door. Reckon what it means?
Well, lets see.
Sober - this means to be vigilant. On the watch. I guess the older men looked out for the others. Older doesn't always translate into "wise". Older means more experienced. Hopefully we will have gained some wisdom from all the really dumb things we did and said. I think it is interesting that us "older" guys are called not to talk or teach or yell at, but to be vigilant. Maybe we are to only speak when we see something that is detrimental to the good of the group or family.

Reverent - this word translates to being honorable. A man of character and integrity. This is something I am striving for. Not of myself, but the Holy Spirit at work in me. To be a man of my word. To be a man who is godly and speaks the truth in love. I confess to you that I am so weary of political ads where the candidate has to tell us that he has family values. He loves the Bible. He is a conservative. He loves puppies and guns. It goes on and on. John Wimber once said, "If you are something, then you will not need to advertise it." If you are a man of integrity then it will be evident.

Temperate - Someone who is able to control themselves. Whether it be their fleshly appetites or in matters of spiritual purity, they strive to keep a balance.

These are all qualities that reflect a godly person.
In an age of opinion and "well this is what I believe", we don't have the luxury of defining ourselves. Only God gets to do that.

God on you.........
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...