Monday, June 21, 2010

Stop Looking For Signs...Start Listening For Sounds

Part of the Presidents Fathers Day Proclamation speech/  6 - 20 -10

Nurturing families come in many forms, and children may be raised by a father and mother, a single father, two fathers, a step father, a grandfather, or caring guardian. We owe a special debt of gratitude for those parents serving in the United States Armed Forces and their families, whose sacrifices protect the lives and liberties of all American children. For the character they build, the doors they open, and the love they provide over our lifetimes, all our fathers deserve our unending appreciation and admiration.


I try not to politicize this blog. I pray for the leaders of our nation, that they might awaken to the responsibility they carry. To be aware that there is a greater government that we all will answer to at some point. We will have to account for our actions and our words.
Yesterday, the President of the United States of America gave a proclamation for father's day. In his proclamation he put his stamp of approval in re-defining what "family"means.
No longer does family simply mean husband, wife, children. It is now open season to include any who seeks to use the term. Notice I said "use the term". The creation of family came from a higher government that the one that occupies Washington D.C. God created family....He defined what is and what isn't a family.
Just because you change the terms and definitions, doesn't mean that you have done a good thing. What it means is that you have openly and defiantly said to God, "This is how it's going to be."
It reminds me of the verse in Judges 21:25 -- In those days, Israel had no king Everyone did as he saw fit.
I fear that our country has crossed that line of looking to ourselves to define what is right and what isn't right. We create more and more laws only to see lawlessness increase. This nation has lost fear of the LORD. We do not fear him, much less believe in Him. God is a name we bandy about only when it suits our purposes. I think maybe such actions could possibly be construed as "taking the Lord's name in vain." Claiming the name of Jesus for personal gain.

I do know that in our rebellion against God, we have crossed over and are headed down that slippery slope of self destruction as we have thumbed our collective noses at God and told Him to leave us alone.
We cling to patriotism to make us feel safe and to bolster our ego. Kind of reminds me of the passage in Jeremiah where the people of Jerusalem would cry out "The Temple! The Temple! The Temple!" Thinking that they were safe from any harm. God would not bring judgement against the nation that houses His temple. Silly us. Yet in all our patriotism and flag waving fear grips this country like a tight fist.
Fear over the economy. Why? Because we have trusted in Washington D.C. as the means for salvation.
Fear of the future, that our way of life may have actually ended.
Don't call me a nay-sayer or a bringer of gloom. I pray that I'm wrong. I pray that I missed it, but I don't think I have.

The government is my shepherd, I shall not want.
They send me money every month...
They make me be dependent on that which I should be doing for myself.
They lead me to vote for them each term, for their name sake.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of God's plan...
I will not fear the Lord.
For the Senate and the Congress, they watch over me.
They prepare a table in the presence of God to show their power and strength.
Surely my needs will be met
and I will worship the hand of the government forever and ever.....
Amen.

God help us all!
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...